Every once in a while, the one message you’re looking for just isn’t there in your message history. It was deleted for various reasons. Unfortunately, you can’t find it. As far as Facebook Messenger is concerned, after you delete a Facebook message, it’s gone forever. Although you can retrieve those messages from other sources, there is still something you need to do.
The following methods can help you recover deleted messages on Facebook, as well as backup your Facebook messages so they do not disappear in the future. You also need to worry about having your Facebook account hacked and recovering it time and again.
How to recover deleted Facebook messages
Here are a few of the methods that you can use to recover your deleted Facebook messages:
- Look through your archived conversations
- If possible, request a copy of the message or conversation from the recipient
- Make sure your Facebook messages have been sent to your email.
Look through your archived conversations
This will require you to use your Facebook Messenger app. Use the search bar in the chat section of the app to find the person you were talking to. When you find the person you were talking to, tap their name to open the conversation.
There is a good chance that many people will want to keep a copy of their Facebook messages. If you want to download all the pictures, videos, contacts, and other information on your Facebook account, there is an easy way to do that. Below are instructions on recovering deleted Facebook messages from downloaded archives:
- Use your email address and password to log into your Facebook account.
- Click on the “Settings” icon to access that section.
- Once you have selected “Your Facebook Information,” click on the “View” button under the “Download Your Information” heading.
- On the next page, you will be able to choose which Facebook data you would like to download. It is up to you whether to select only messages or everything. It is also up to you what type of data you want. Just click “Create File” to get started.
- The file from Facebook will be emailed to you and you need to download it as soon as possible since it will be available only for a few days.
You can automatically unarchive messages in a conversation thread simply by sending another message to the recipient. You will then be able to see the conversation in your inbox once again. Archived conversations can be searched for using the “Search in Conversations” options located on the right-hand side of the opened conversation on both mobile and desktop. Using this method also works on main inbox conversations.
If possible, request a copy of the message or conversation from the recipient
Whenever you delete a Facebook chat, it’s permanently deleted on your end. A copy of the conversation may still be in your conversation partner’s possession, however. Sending you a screenshot or copying and pasting it will work. A Facebook data download can be requested if you need the information for official purposes, like proving you spoke to someone at a certain time. It is important to remember, though, that they do not have to share all of the information with you, and that they can decide what to download and send over.
Make sure your Facebook messages have been sent to your email
It only works if your account is set up to receive all email notifications. If this feature is enabled, however, you should be able to search within your email account for the conversation.
- Checking your email is as simple as going to your mailbox and searching for the message you need. Your Facebook message backup will most likely appear in your mailbox if you have enabled it.
- Notifications backup is included with message backup, so it can be annoying.
How to back up your Facebook messages
No matter whether you were able to get those deleted messages back, you should continue backing up your messages. It will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future. Follow these steps:
- Set up the backup-to-email function
- Download your messages to your computer.
Set up the backup-to-email function
Backup your messages to prevent this from happening again. You can enable email notifications to avoid this from happening again. To do this, simply follow these steps.
- You can also open Facebook on your computer by clicking the down arrow in the top right corner.
- From the menu, select Settings & privacy, and then select Settings again.
- Click on Notifications from the left menu once you’ve located it.
- Click the Email link at the bottom of the page.
- Select All notifications except those you turn off. In this way, you are guaranteed to receive future messages in your inbox.
Creating a backup of your messages is also an option. The Facebook backup does not allow you to recover deleted messages, unlike WhatsApp backup, which does.
Download your messages to your computer.
It is still a good idea, however, to create Facebook backups. The following steps can help you.
- Navigate to your computer’s Settings page as before.
- From the menu on the left, select Your Facebook information.
- Download your information by clicking the Download button.
- You can select exactly what you want to back up, as well as the dates to include on this page. If you want only a copy of your messages, click on Deselect all. Click on Messages again.
- Click the Create File button.
It takes a few minutes to complete the process. Upon completion, you’ll receive an email containing the backup file. Click the Available copies tab to download the backup.
Is it possible to recover deleted Facebook messages? Occasionally, yes. It doesn’t mean you should delete old messages just because you want everything organized and easily accessible. Not just on Facebook Messenger, but for any messaging application. In most places, you can archive your messages, which keeps your main inbox tidy but allows you to access them later on if needed. Whenever possible, make sure that these are accessible.